resources text-14.png

Student Senate Project

Reviews of Landlords have recently been published though a survey which Student Senators conducted. This provides information about off-campus housing on the Twin Cities Campus, the Duluth campus, and the Rochester campus. The data is then categorized by apartment building or leasing company.

University Departments

University of Minnesota Student Legal Service  (SLS) providing legal representation, legal advice, referrals, and legal education for students paying the Student Services Fee.

160 West Bank Skyway, 219 19th Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55455 or 612-624-1001


University of Minnesota Off-Campus Living ​​​(OCL) providing nformation about finding roommates, living near campus, living at home, and commuting.

223 Appleby Hall, 128 Pleasant St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455 or 612-626-5213

University of Minnesota Housing and Residential Life (HRL) providing information about on-campus housing, University-owned apartments, and University-owned off-campus housing 

210 Delaware St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455 or 612-624-2994


Resources provided by University Departments



After advocacy efforts from MSA, SLS has made their list of landlords known to violate off campus housing policy and take advantage of students public. The list is accessible on our homepage and will be published on November 29th by OCH.


Rent My College Pads

This search tool is available to students FOR FREE to search for housing.


Student Senate Renters’ Survey

The Student Senate has re-launched the Renters’ Survey, giving you access to student reviews. This survey will be available at the end of December. Look out for it!


Legal Advice



A nonprofit Minnesota tenant advocacy organization. Serves all of Minnesota. Provides explanations of applicable laws and legal options; provides form letters, fact sheets, and excerpts from statutes. Will refer to local housing inspectors and give sources for emergency assistance.

3455 Bloomington Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55407 or 612-728-5767


Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid

Serves low income people, seniors, and people with disabilities in Hennepin and Anoka counties. Helps protect against evictions and landlord abuse, housing discrimination, and specializes in many other areas of law.

430 1st Ave N, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 5540 or 612-332-1441

Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services

Enforces legal rights and assists with problems between landlord/tenants including eviction, rent increases, utility shut off, security deposit, and repairs. Serves Ramsey, Washington, Dakota, Carver, and Scott counties as well as rural counties.

55 E 5th St, Suite 200, Saint Paul, MN 55101

Local counties: 651-222-4731 Housing Alliance Law Office  

Rural counties: 888-575-2954

Property Inspections


Minneapolis Housing Inspector

Handles code violations, nuisance conditions, and rental licensing. Conducts property inspections.

250 S 4th St, Room 300, Minneapolis, MN 55415

Inside Minneapolis: 311  Outside Minneapolis: 612-673-3000


Saint Paul Safety and Inspections

Handles code violations, nuisance conditions, and rental licensing. Conducts property inspections.

375 Jackson St, Suite 220, Saint Paul, MN 55101 or 651-266-8989


Property Information and Public Records


City of Minneapolis Property Information

Look up public-record information about properties in the City of Minneapolis.


Ramsey County (Saint Paul) Property Information

Look up public-record information about properties in Ramsey County, including the City of Saint Paul



Other Helpful Resources


Landlords and Tenants:

Rights and Responsibilities, published by the Office of Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson (handbook meant for quick reference)

U.S. Department of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity enforces federal laws, establishes policies ensuring equal access to housing, and investigates complaints of housing discrimination. Website has a downloadable complaint form that can be mailed or emailed.

regional office for Minnesota is located in Chicago, IL

800-669-9777 Chicago office: 800-765-9372